Late 18th century
Dimensions: W. 79 cm (2' 7'' ⅛) ; H. 97 cm (3' 2'' ¼ ) ; D. 4 cm (1'' ⅝ )
Positive identification of this coat of arms as being that of Louis-Michel Lepeletier, Marquis of Saint-Fargeau is confirmed by the crown of the marquis, the mortar board and mantle of Président à mortier above the coat of arms.
Louis-Michel Lepeletier, Marquis of Saint-Fargeau :
Born on 29 May 1760 in Paris, descendant of Michel Robert Le Peletier des Forts, Count of Saint-Fargeau (1675-1740) and Minister of State under Louis XV in 1730, Louis-Michel Lepeletier de Saint-Fargeau was a distinguished French magistrate and lawyer. En 1779, at the age of only 19, he became a member of the Parliament of Paris and was a lawyer at the Prison of the Chatelet.
A few months prior to the events of the French Revolution in 1789, he was elected Président à mortier of the Parliament, one of the most important offices of French justice in the Ancien Régime. From then on, Louis-Michel Lepeletier de Saint-Fargeau therefore included the mortar board, black velvet toque adorned with two golden braids, and the coat of the Président à mortier in ermine-lined scarlet within his traditional family coat of arms. It may therefore be considered without any doubt that the composition of the personal arms of Louis-Michel Lepeletier de Saint-Fargeau as represented on this fireback was subsequent to 1789.
During the Estates General of May 1789 convened by King Louis XVI, Louis-Michel Lepeletier was elected deputy of the nobility of Paris. However, gradually won over by the ideas of the Revolution, he turned his back on his noble origins in July of the same year, joined the Third Estate and became a fervent defender of the people's cause.
On 17 June 1790, the day when abolition of titles of nobility was voted in, he passed the law according to which "no citizen shall bear any other name than that of their family reduced to its simplest portion". Thus it was that he gave up the title of Marquis de Saint-Fargeau and henceforth became "Louis-Michel Lepeletier".
Between 1653 and 1657, Anne-Marie-Louise d'Orléans, cousin of Louis XI, asked the king's architect, François Le Vau to renew the four inner walls of the chateau, where the monogram "AMLO" can still be seen.
The Chateau of Saint-Fargeau came to be owned by the Lepeletier family in December 1715, when it was bought by Michel-Robert Le Peletier des Forts. The latter, successively advisor to the Parliament of Paris, intendant of Finance, Minister of State under Louis XV and member of the Academy of Sciences, ordered the construction of the Pavilion known as "Des Forts".
Louis-Michel Lepeletier de Saint-Fargeau inherited the estate in 1778.
When residing in Paris, Louis-Michel Lepeletier lived in the mansion at 29 rue de Sévigné. Built from 1688 according to the plans of Pierre Bullet (1639-1716), architect of the King and the City, on behalf of Michel Le Peletier de Souzy (1640-1725), Le Peletier de Saint-Fargeau mansion was attached to the Carnavalet museum in 1989.
Today, the Carnavalet museum still has a large fireback bearing the arms of Michel Le Peletier de Souzy, the ancestor of Louis-Michel Lepeletier, and of his wife Madeleine Guérin des Forts. This fireback, dated 1688, also has two unicorns supporting the double armorial crest.
Louis-Michel Lepeletier, first Martyr of the French Revolution :
Despite having advocated the abolition of the death penalty, the subject of a famous speech he delivered at the National Assembly in May 1791, he expressed a contrary point of view when it came to the fate of Louis XVI and voted for his execution on 20 January 1793.
The same evening, he dined at the Palais Royal restaurant of Février (or Ferrier), where Philippe Nicolas Maris de Pâris, fervent royalist and former bodyguard of Louis XVI was also present. An altercation between the two men broke out and Paris ran through Lepeletier with his sword. Mortally wounded, Lepeletier was taken to his brother's home in Place Vendôme (then called Place des Piques) before making his last breath a few hours later.
Political exploitation of the event was not long in coming and Louis-Michel Lepeletier was hailed as a true "martyr of the Revolution". His body was then left on display for three days on the Place Vendome with grandiose staging designed by the painter Jacques-Louis David before being buried in the Pantheon of Paris.
Jacques-Louis David depicted the magistrate on his deathbed in a large canvas entitled "The Last Moments of Michel Lepeletier". Intended as a diptych along with the canvas of "The Death of Marat" (who died in July 1793), the two canvases were installed in the session hall of the National Convention until 1795, when David recovered them and took them to Brussels. While "The Death of Marat" has remained there (Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium), the Michel Lepeletier canvas was sold by David's descendants to his daughter, Louise Suzanne Lepeletier de Mortefontaine, a convinced royalist.
The painting subsequently disappeared mysteriously, either destroyed by Louise Suzanne or hidden within the walls of the Chateau of Saint-Fargeau.
Academician Jean d'Ormesson, a direct descendant of Suzanne Lepeletier said : "Family tradition has it that Suzanne hid the hated David painting within the thick walls of Saint-Fargeau. Seers, deviners and seeker of all sorts have been brought in, but such efforts have yielded nothing. To my father's despair, David's painting has always kept its secret, no doubt being lost for ever, perhaps within the formidable pink walls of the Chateau of Saint-Fargeau".
Cet article est également disponible en : French